Regulations have been laid before Parliament amending existing legislation to effect changes including the following:
- The ACAS Early Conciliation provisions will change to allow a standard six-week early conciliation period in all cases, rather than a one-month process with a possible extension of two weeks. ACAS is currently experiencing backlogs and many of our clients are reporting that they are not becoming aware of early conciliation having commenced until the fourth week of the initial period so this is a sensible and welcome change. This change will come into force on 1 December 2020.
- Employment Tribunal (changes coming into force on 8 October 2020):
- To allow more flexibility over remote hearings.
- Legal officers in the tribunal to be allowed to carry out some of the tasks currently performed by employment judges.
- Non-employment judges to be deployed into employment tribunals if certain suitability criteria is met.
- Widen scope for multiple claimants and respondents to use the same ET1 and ET3 forms.